I hope everyone is having a wonderful night! Work went by sooooo fast again today (this week is flyingggg?) and I was so excited to get home for tonight’s cooking adventure!
Why? Because plans were to take a stab at a fun old school lasagna recipe that I found while thumbing through a magazine the other day….
Hey Santa, what are you doin’ here?! 😉
… I like to call it “Man-sagna” if you will (bc I’m dorky like that haha). See friends, my Italian boyfriend loves him some hearty, thick lasagna but all I have ever made is lasagna with loads of veggies before…. so I thought I’d give this recipe a whirl but incorporate some of my own “touches” if you will 😉
Here were the key players as I put a twist on this Campbell’s classic (a few unpictured):
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 package natural, lean ground beef
- 1 bottle Barilla Mushroom & Garlic pasta sauce
- 1 eggplant, sliced thin
- 2 small zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 can Campbell’s 98%FF cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup milk
- Mozzarella cheese
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
First step was to brown up the ground beef, which I decided right away would be much better with the addition of these guys!
With the help of about 1 tblsp EVOO I sauteed them up over medium heat for about 4 minutes… then added the ground beef to the mix cooking until browned (break it apart as it cooks)
At this point it was time to add the pasta sauce (set aside a teeny bit!), easy peasy 🙂
While I was doing the sauce cookin’ I also boiled up the lasagna noodles & sliced the eggplant and zucchini into thin slices.
After all these were ready it was assembly time!!! Go ahead and preheat your oven to 400F too friends 🙂
1. Start with a thin layer of the set aside pasta sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish.
2. Add 3 cooked lasagna noodles (looks like the bottom one had a rough day eh? 😉 )
3. A layer of sliced eggplant and zucchini
4. A layer of the tomato sauce / ground meat mixture.
5. A layer of the cream of mushroom soup, which had been mixed with the 1/4 cup milk.
7. Top with a layer of mozzarella cheese!
8. Hope you’re ready to repeat again! Steps 2-7 topped with a last layer of noodles + cheese. Into a 400F oven uncovered for about 20 minutes, then covered with foil for another 10 minutes and voila!
The kitchen fairy has arrived 😉
Time to serve it up (let it cool down for about 5 minutes friends so it’s manageable, if you can wait!)
Along with a simple side salad of romaine, marinated artichoke hearts, Italian cheese blend and balsamic
Oh mannnnnnnnn-(sagna) this dinner hit the spot! Perfect for a cold night and really pretty healthy considering the ingredients 🙂
I’ll give you The Man quote of tonight: “Babe, this is awesome… you gotta make this for my Dad!!!” and this was said within the first few bites (I didn’t even have to ask?!). That may be the ultimate compliment in my book, bringin’ Italian Dad into the pic and all… woah outta my league?!
I was all smiles, ear-to-ear this girl! Haha even Lucy wanted in on the action so badly that her ear started going outta control…
What the heck, that ear got stuck all sorts a crazy, cutest lil’ thing!
So there you have it, “man-sagna” with some sneaky hidden veggies was a success 🙂
Alrighty friends, time to go watch some TV and catch up on your wonderful-ness with some google reader! Can you believe that tomorrow is humpday already? Fly by week whoop whoop!
And tomorrow morning I think I am wakin’ up early with The Man to get my workout on becauseeeee we have a DATE after work!!! Hint hint: a movie sounding the opposite of “Old Sun” may or may not be involved 😛
Have a lovely night friends! 🙂