I’m not going to lie to you friends when I tell you that I was a bit nervous about driving home from work in the rain tonight, especially since I was coming from about 10 miles further than normal. It’s my first time in the rain since “the incident” so I made sure to leave training before it got really dark – I wanted to feel safe and that was top on my priority list tonight. And guess what, I made it!!! 🙂 Baby steps 🙂
Anywho, right when I got home I tamed the beast (aka Lucy Dog) since she was all sorts of hyper haha, poor girl can’t get any playtime with this early dark that falls upon us this time of year! After that I got started on dinner which I knew had to cook away for a bit, loved the switch up of dinner first then workout, lovely!
On the menu? White Chicken Chili! 🙂 I think you friends have seen this one before, but it’s so wonderful to do on a weeknight if you have some other things around the house to do – get the chili ready and let it simmer away for an hour or 2 and dinner is served – easy peasy!
A few minor modifications from last time around…
- 2 cans Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 can diced green chilis
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayanne
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- salt & pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in half (to reduce cooking time)
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
Layered them one by one into the slow cooker:
1. Northern beans
2. Onions and garlic
3. Diced chilis and spices
4. Chicken breasts
5. Chicken broth then just set it to level 4 (medium cook) and let it simmer away – plus fill the house with loveliness while you carry on with your night! 1 hour later – presto 😛
6. Remove chicken and shred it up using my fave “2 fork” method (check out how fabulously the spices all cooked into the chicken, so flavorful!)
7. I also scooped out some of the beans and mashed with a fork, this is a great way to easily thicken up the soup (plus The Man doesn’t like lots of whole beans in there, dual-purpose?…..)
8. Add chicken & bean mash back to the cooker and keep heated until ready to serve 🙂
Oh yes, serving time – add whatever toppings you like – we did crushed tortilla chips, fresh salsa, frank’s hot sauce & mexican cheese!!
I must tell you friends that this is easily becoming one of our favorite recipes! And with the ease of preparation it lends itself to a perfect weekday meal… not to mention leftovers are too die for 🙂 Winner Winner chicken dinner in EVERY sense of the word!
What’s even better than this lovely dinner? The fact that my back didn’t bother me ALL DAY. Is that incredible or what? I attribute it to the yoga last night, for real friends, this is just phenomenal 🙂
Tonight’s yoga session was a bit easier & more relaxing, Yoga OnEdge Sunset from ExerciseTV On Demand. It really cleared my mind out to get ready for my presentation tomorrow & also made my body feel great from head to toe 🙂
K on that note friends, I gotta go practice for said presentation… ugh so glad this is the last one for this training you just don’t know!
See you for humpday tomorrow and have a great night 🙂